Thursday 10 June 2010

Roots

I've already written about the vagaries of travel in India so I won't add more to what is already a full picture. I will merely say that the twin-prop plane was cancelled, I bribed my way onto a train to Delhi which took 10 hours, my flight the next day to Bangalore was delayed by three hours and I finally got back to Mysore at 11.30 pm after setting over the previous day at 9am. Enough already.

I will stay here in Mysore for another month and I hope get to know the city better. I'll also begin to plan the Africa leg of this journey which will start in July.

There are moments when doubt creeps in. Doubt as to quite what I'm doing here; self-doubt too. But this is a journey designed to have no specific outcome, a journey for me, a journey to discover what is happening in the world outside the tiny island I was born in. It's not a journey of self-discovery as such. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm about, what I can do and what I can't do. What I do hope is that I will have a stronger sense of what is REALLY important to me, a greater sense of what it is that I can still contribute and where my roots should start to grow deeper. I want that to happen and from a place of strength and belonging and loving, focus on what it is I can do effectively and realistically.

Maybe I need to go and buy some rooting powder from the market. But where to plant?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Sounds like you need a bit of a chuckle therapy, my darling. Try 1/2 an hour logging on to the BBC's Listen Again site & dipping into today's (if you don't want to hear the scores) Look Away Now on R4 - such a larf. I listened to it earlier while I was planting out my chillie & tomato seedlings and had a good old guffaw.

    In the meantime, may the clay dance to balance you .........

    hey, you know the rest.

    Much love,
    x

    ReplyDelete